Sunday, March 16, 2008

Utah Jazz!

I went to lunch with the PR guy from the Jazz (see previous post). Here is how it went...well.

I was surprised when I met him to find out that he is my same age. He went to Judge Memorial High School, and knows some of my good friends from Challenger. This was kind of a shock to see a kid my age with such a high position. Then I realized that I am 26 and even though it is not old, it is not young either.

Being able to ask him a lot of questions about the Jazz and what he does was quite interesting. I was able to get a good idea of what it is going to take to get into the pro-sports basketball world. Unfortunately one of his big things was internships. I guess working two years for a different pro-sport doesn't count for anything.

This next week I am going to help set up the arena for one of the games, and run things back and forth for the media all night long. I will be there for pre-game shootaround and post game interviews. It should be a really good experience. Although they do not really have any internships available right now he said during the playoffs they need some extra help. I think I am interested especially since it is paid.

One thing I did realize from our little meeting is that going into sports at ground level is not going to get me where I want to be. I eventually would like to be involved in professional sports in a higher capacity (Owner), but to get there I will need lots of money. I need to be outside of sports to make my millions and then I can get some funds to step into the industry where I want. Working 60+ hours a week and not getting paid very much would take me far too long to move up the ladder. Therefore I think at this point I am going to step away for a little bit and do what I need to. Then one day my little nephew Fuller will be playing for my team.

No comments: