Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bump in the Road

This week I took my final for my online advertising class. I was so relieved. Until I saw one of my grades.

This class had two big assignments at the end. One being a portfolio of ads, and the other my very own advertising campaign. I chose to use the navigation system Magellan for my campaign and got really excited about all of the ideas that could be used. I spent DAYS working on this project making sure I followed all instructions and included everything that was required. I got some help from a very credible source within the advertising industry, and was well on my way. When I submitted the assignment I was almost positive I would see a B grade.

The day finally came and my grade was posted. The suspense had been killing me. I checked and it was an.....E

E???? Really??? Do you know what that means???? I failed!! I completely botched it!! No sympathy and no love from Mr. Professor. I wasn't even close. I got an E!!! I was going to die.

In the syllabus the instructor states that even average work will get a C and that an E means I didn't even try. I couldn't believe it. My ego was nicked. I worked so hard. Who is he to say that I didn't even try? What a jerk!

My first thought was to go straight down to BYU and punch that stupid professor right in his PhD!

Then I calmed down and decided to email him. I wanted to know where I went wrong. Fortunately he replied and said I could fix some things for a better grade. He also attached what a 'good' advertising campaign looked like, and if I wanted a decent grade I needed to do better.

Do you know what that 'good' campaign looked like? It looked like someone working for the company gave their advertising campaign to the kid and said, 'Here boy copy this. It might just get you the grade you need.'

I don't know how I am going to do better. This person used photo shop and put a watermark on every page. I don't know how to do that crap. What am I supposed to do?

I am just going to have to make changes and hope for the best. At least he gave me a second chance.

If I don't pass this class I don't graduate. Everyone pray for me!

3 comments:

Meghan said...

oh Logan, I am so sorry. I know that you will be able to get the grade you want. Good luck, we will be praying for you.

Unknown said...

I think you are a genius. You will be able to pull this off.

For those of you that don't know, Logan is taking 28 credits this semester. 28! He has 22 credits at the U and 6 credits online through BYU. He does homework while he eats, while he does sit-ups (no joke) and probably even dreams about public relations in the few hours of sleep he gets. Graduation is on May 2 and we will PARTY!

Janelle

Silus Grok said...

It's a good thing you know someone who was partner in a successful ad agency… who knows Photoshop like the back of his hand… and he'll even be at the hot springs tonight with you and your wife!