Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Student Taught by Students??

Some would argue that the UofU is a more accredited college than the local Community College (SLCC) because of its tenure and programs. Although I think there is some validity to that statement I also feel like I have been cheated by the grandeur of going to a big University. After starting this, my last semester, I feel like I might have been better instructed at SLCC than here at the U. At least the night classes were taught by professors with experience in that particular field.

Of the seven classes here at the University, only two of my teachers can actually be considered professors or have any kind of credibility. The others are students that are my age working on their PhD's.

My Criminology class is the worst. I am actually being taught by a guy that used to hang out with Napoleon Dynamite. He literally used to practice bow staff skills with John Heder (Napoleon) outside of their church while waiting for scouts to start. (He bragged about it on the first day of class after he asked if any of us knew someone famous. 'way to set yourself up dude.' thought Logan)

The guy graduated from BYU and is now working on his masters at the U. He has NEVER had any experience in the field of criminology, but feels like he is legit because he helped with some research projects at BYU and has studied the subject a lot (his words). Whoopity Doo!

This guys whole quest is that he is going to show us how awful our Criminal Justice System is and that we shouldn't trust it at all. I doubt the guy has ever had a speeding ticket let alone been involved in the process. It just frustrates me so bad. I could get more by doing ride alongs with my cop buddy and getting tours of the court house. I guess I will just have to continue to read the chapters and listen to him stutter and stumble through his lessons. It is so easy to see that he has not clue what he is talking about. Not a good faker.

So as you can see I am pretty discouraged that I pay thousands of dollars and I am being taught by my peers that have a few more classes under their belts and have written a few more papers.

I want a refund.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Have you ever had a teacher that doesn't speak English? That is the best.
Hey, I tagged you on my blog. Check it out.