Monday, January 28, 2008

The Man

Just a follow up on the tattoo story...(people have been giving me a hard time about it - in a fun way)

I remember having everything ready for my 'awesome' tattoo, but was starting to have second thoughts. Knowing that my mom would kill me should have changed my mind, but I am kind of a slow learner. I was walking home from my 'high paying, high profile' security job at Crossroads, and stopped by the chapel because it was priesthood session. I already felt uncomfortable because I was under dressed, and then the Prophet talked about tattoos. It didn't take long for me to throw away that great tattoo design that had my initials intricately placed in it. Soon after I was so glad I did, I mean, what was I thinking?? It couldn't have made me any cooler than I already was.

This morning as I drove past President Hinckley's apartment I remembered that talk, and was so grateful for his words that day.

On the street in front of his apartment a pile of flowers had been started by people who had been touched just like me. I am not going to lie, I had to choke back some of those Logan emotions. We lost a great man, but it is comforting knowing that we won't be left long without the leadership of a prophet.

I am so happy that he is now with his wife and free of mortality. In his book "Stand a Little Taller" he says:

"What a wonderful thing is death, really, when all is said and done. It is the great reliever. It is a majestic, quiet passing on from this life to another life, a better life. We go to a place where we will not suffer as we have suffered here, but where we will continue to grow, accumulating knowledge and developing and being useful under the plan of the Almighty made possible through the Atonement of the Son of God."

-Gordon B. Hinckley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

maeveinthecity said...

thanks a lot! i had no idea you had a blog! what the heck, you stink.

maeveinthecity said...

but i do love your blog!