Sunday, May 4, 2008

Graduation

So I finally did it. I graduated on Friday, and barring any setbacks, like a teacher not giving me a passing grade, I should get a diploma. At first I was against the whole idea of walking and being a part of the graduation ceremony, but my family and wonderful wife talked me into it. I should have stuck to my guns.

When I went to Janelle's graduation at BYU I remember it dragging on. If hers was dragging on, then mine was an eternity. There also were stark contrasts between the way that both ceremonies were run. Let's go through them:

BYU - Two speakers both good. The faculty speaker did well while the student speaker did fair.
UU - Too many speakers. All terribly long winded.

BYU - Faculty on the stage
UU - 'Hundreds' of faculty on the stage taking an hour to pat themselves on the back and give each other awards.

BYU - One student at a time walks across the stage
UU - Cattle being herded to the floor of the Huntsman Center where two people are reading names and you can't tell Adam from Mary.

I could go on forever, but you get the picture. In the end the fact that I finished is all that matters.

No comments: